RE: [pyrnet] Diet question

My pyr skips morning meals in the warm weather – I wasn’t worried but I did switch to using Blue  Buffalo wet – the chicken works best- to supplement-mainly to hide her glucosamine and cranberry.  She has not skipped a meal all summer or left her pills behind.  My friend adopted a dog from Cozumel and who is the pickiest eater I ever saw, and she needed to gain about 8 pounds.  The Blue Buffalo worked for her as well.  I give my girl about 2 heaping tablespoons with eat meal.  Her dry is Natural Balance Limited Ingred.  Duck and Potato –she has/had tummy issues too.

Good Luck.

Sherri

From: owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org [mailto:owner-pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org] On Behalf Of Laurie McDonough
Sent: Monday, September 21, 2009 6:24 AM
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] Diet question

Hello,

I have an 11-month old neutered male pyr.  He is very picky about his food and I have trouble getting him to eat.  Although I'm aware that slow growth is preferable in giant breeds, he has not gained much weight over the last few months although he has grown in height.  Right now he is about 28" at the withers and 73 pounds.

He is not underweight, his ribs are covered but he is thin.

Any suggestions on food brands or additions to dry food that other picky prys like?  Also your opinions as to whether this is unusual or fairly normal would be great.

Finally, what do you give these guys to *chew*???  He doesn't really have any interested in chewing the large heavy-duty nylabones.  I know raw-hide is not acceptable - what about fresh large leg bones from the butcher?  Do these have to be supervised?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Laurie & Bacchus