Re: [pyrnet] Scary Medical Emergency

Thank God you found it in time... I hope all continues to go ok with her recovery.
Linda Anderson - Stanwood Wa

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:33 AM, Manny Fernandez, Jr. <drmanny3@cox.net> wrote:

I am still dumbfounded that this whole event occurred in the first place.
One of the reasons I am telling you all about this is that apparently it is
common in large breed, deep-chested dogs.? The Vet said that in the last few
years they have perfected a minimal operation where they attach the stomach
wall? inside the body to prevent the rotation.? They only require about a
1/2 inch incision and it can be done even when a young dog is being
neutered.? Go figure!? Had we lost her I think both of us would have just
been devastated.? She after all is our daughter.

It is Thursday and Athena seems a bit better.? We have been giving her the
medications prescribed.? The pain killers knock her out and she sleeps.? We
decided to pull back a bit on the pain killers so that she is more alert.
She is able to pee so that is good.? The Vet said that she probably will not
eliminate for 4 to 5 days.? The Pain pills also cause constipation so we are
a little concerned.? We will monitor her very carefully to see that she is
not in any pain.

We were always aware of Bloat but never thought it would happen to her.? She
free feeds and never really eats a lot at one time.? She does drink a lot
when she wants water though.? We have to be careful about that.? I strongly
recommend that everyone on this forum check into this situation so that you
are aware and know what to look for.? It is a silent killer that can happen
in two hours.

Manny

--
Linda Anderson