[pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20091106-1

BTW does the vet recommend the preventative surgery for all Pyrs or for relatives of dogs who have had bloat?Â

Amy with Charlie, Sweetie and Harry Pugger

The Vet Hospital we took Athena to is renowned in the area. It was 9 pm Sunday night. They had a very experienced Vet surgeon who was very familiar with gastric torsion. She told us that they now (for about 3 or 4 years) perform a minimally invasive surgery that can prevent torsions. They even recommend that it be done when a dog is being neutered. We were aware of Bloat but did not know that there was a preventative surgery. Any large chest dog like German Sheppard, Great Pyr, Great Dane, etcetera. Just never really understood. We free feed Athena and since we give her Purina One Sensitive Stomach with the main ingredient Salmon, we have never had a problem with her gulping her food. If anything she is underweight.

We think now that the long trip home (6 hours) where she stood most of the time (by choice) and drank from a bowl may have contributed to a lot of air being trapped. When we got home I gave her some ice water which she likes. She really drank it up. Then she went outside. We heard her bark (typical of pyrs) which may have indicated that she was running in the yard. So perhaps all the trapped gas in her stomach and the large amount of water intake moments before contributed. Just don't know. The vet is not sure what made it happen either. You are right most people don't catch it. It was my wife who noticed something odd. Thank you for your concern. Athena just had her first bowl movement this morning, approximately 4 1/2 days following the surgery. We were so happy (go figure). She now seems to be more of herself. We have dropped the pain medication in half to see if that helps here functionally. The best to all of you.
Manny