Re: [pyrnet] Re: pyrnet-l-digest.20091119-2

On 21 Nov 2009 at 7:58, Darla Gault wrote:

> As much as Bone is easy going, an intact male gave him the evil eye
> in obedience class, from across the room, and it was clear that Bone
> wanted a BIG piece of him (a sheltie).? Bone was riveted on the
> Sheltie, and I'm quite sure he would have attempted to take him out
> had we finished out the classes.

This is where behavior modification comes into play.  A very important command for me, is
the "Leave it" command.  Especially with the males.  I give the leave it command when their
attention is on another dog who may be aggressive and even when the males want to mark
in an inappropriate area, and then immediately a heel command and walk in the opposite
direction.  The purpose is to break the concentration.  But then if the other dog is off lead and
not contained, that may not work. When I was showing my young female she was quite
dominant and wanted to control everything.  There was an X-Pen of Siberian Husky
youngsters near us and they were all howling and making a ruckus.  They were out of order
and my Kalinka was going to get things back in order and clean their clocks. I had to turn her,
walk away and take her through all the obedience commands several times to get her to
settle.  She was quite young at the time and now at 11 she is a mature gal and gets along
with every other dog here and is not dominant.  I can always count on her to not join in on any
altercations.  She just stands back out of the way.  But too, she is the senior now and knows
it.

Judith
Taos, New Mexico
jsmiller@newmex.com