Re: [pyrnet] Question about excessive thirst and frequent yawning

Hi All:

Thanks for all the input! Our vet also boards animals so it was business as usual at the pet hospital on Dec. 24.

Kodiak's monthly dose of his heart pill along with his Promeris is the 16th of every month. His last monthly dose of both was administered on Dec. 16, 2009. He has never missed a dose of either in his life. We switched to the Promeris two months ago because it is supposed to help the localized demodectic mange he had on his nose. His next rabies shot is due Jan.22, 2010 so we'll see how he is doing on his follow-up visit.

Speaking of Promeris, to my surprise and embarrassment, Kodi had fleas to the extent he developed tape worms. The vet gave him a Capstar and switched him to Vectra 3D. Kodiak received his first dose of the Vectra as well. I brush him a lot and can't believe I didn't catch this. True, Kodiak is mostly an outdoor dog but I have had him in the house and haven't had one bite and Kodiak hasn't been scratching. The vet also gave him a dose of Verbantel and his next dose is due on Jan. 14, 2010.

The excess thirst and other symptoms did not amount to anything. Kodiak is lean and healthy in this regard. His seeming 'puffiness' is due to the 10 pounds he gained since his last vet visit  back in September. This puts him at 130 pounds which is a little heavier than I am used to for a Pyr.

Judith: thanks for suggesting the urine catch. It turns out that Kodiak did have a small amount of blood in his urine. His WBC count was slightly out of the lab reference interval. Luckily there were no stones in his bladder.  I don't have his lab values in front of me but my vet believes since we caught it now maybe UTI's won't be a lingering problem for Kodiak. He is taking two of the antibiotic, Clavamox (375 mg) AM & PM.  Other than decreased appetite Kodiak did not present with any of the symptoms I've read about ~ unless the excess panting was due to pain.

I am more concerned how he contracted the infection. He hasn't had any major stressors recently. We walk about 2.5-3 miles every day and usually for a hike on the weekend ~ and we all stay hydrated. The only possible cause I read is excess protein ~ I always thought this was healthy for a  Pyr. Obviously I need to read more about UTI. Any input on the aforementioned is always appreciated.

Happy New Year to All,

Christine  Kodiak