[pyrnet] Pyr's Toe Infection

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago, I was clipping Cody's nails and hit the quick on one of them.  It bled and then seemed fine.  Then, 5 days later he started lifting his back leg and it was obvious something hurt.  I remembered that it was the same paw that I had cut.  Some of his nail seemed to already be growing back around the quick, but when I pressed the nail from the bottom, a clear liquid came out and it smelled foul, but was not puss.  The vet came and she pushed a sodium nitrate (I think) stick into it to cauterize.  She was able to push in a fair ways and mushy stuff came out.  She clipped the nail back to where the "new" quick was and gave him an IM injection of Baytril.  She said that she has never seen a quick get infected - leave it to Cody!

Now, a few days later, the nail is weeping again with the clear and foul smelling fluid.  I've poured hydrogen pyroxide on it and today we soaked his foot in some salt water.  The vet is away until Monday, so I'm hoping to keep it stable through the weekend.

Has anyone had a problem like this and how was it resolved?  One thing we think may have happened is that he stepped on a piece of straw or something and it went up into the quick causing the infection, but nothing seemed to come out.

Christine