Re: [pyrnet] Problems with coat

Hi Candice,

I was just going to ask if you have switched dog foods. What are you currently feeding? It could be the food changed something, or there is something else going on. Is she spayed? Has the vet ever commented on her results from a blood draw? The high protein dog food may have something to do with it though and there may not be enough carbohydrates and fats in the food to nourish the hair enough. I hope this helps some!

Casey
-------------- Original message from Candice Macbeth <clmacbeth@gmail.com>: --------------

Hi

I have been reading all your posts for years and have learned so much from all of you.  We are having a big problem and I hope some of you may be able to help.  We have a wonderful Pyr named, Pearl,  who turned 5 years old this year.  Up until her 5th birthday she had what  I would describe as a normal coat.  Shed about once a year with the usual amount of Pyr hair around the house. We would brush her one or two times a week with no problems.  She is on the light side 85 lbs.  She looked fit.  Then this year she developed this huge coat.  Her undercoat is like puffed out cotton candy.  It knots in a flash, we are brushing her everyday to keep ahead of the knots and matts. She is not shedding.  It just seems to wad together.  She looks very different.  People who know her keep asking if she has gained a lot of weight.  She seems uncomfortable.  I guess I am wondering if this is normal for an older dog?  I have been reading breed standard and it doesn't mention a coat change.  We did change her food about this time from one that contained wheat and corn to a high protein dog food.  Thank you for any advice you can give

Candice and Pearl in Maine