From: Christine <chrissy@instant.net>
Subject: Re: [pyrnet] How do working LGD's cue in on predator activity
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 11:18 PM

Kodiak is an outdoor non-working dog but he is the same way. He dislikes being in the house and really only wants to be in the house during the hot summer months. When the weather dropped to the low 20's we brought him in at night. Our front door is too far from the drive for Kodiak to hear anything. Certain sounds that alert him outside will prompt him; for example, if he happens to hear other dogs bark he'll want to go outside and return after he checks things out.  Other than that he could care less what happens outside. When someone (rings/knocks) on the front door he does nothing. I mean, he is not even curious. When people visit he'll continue to sleep or lounge. If he smells something good cooking sometimes he'll move and plop down/sleep outside the kitchen. Household sounds don't bother him in the least. In fact, he loves the round brush attachment on the vacuum cleaner.  In short, he's much of an alarmist let alone a guard dog in the house.

All of my Pyrs have had the "it's not my job now," attitude when they are in the house.

Christine