RE: [pyrnet] GPS Tracking for lost Pyrs ?

I know there are radio collars for hunting dogs.  When we lived in Virginia, dogs were allowed for deer hunting!  The hunters would collar their lead dogs and find the pack that way.  Not sure how practical or expensive this set-up is though.

Glad you were able to find Kodiak :)

Melissa

Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:54:56 -0500
From: chrissy@instant.net
To: pyrnet-l@pyrnet.org
Subject: [pyrnet] GPS Tracking for lost Pyrs ?

Isn't there a way to have a collar that has a GPS chip like a cell phone? Is this practical?
Kodiak has the chip but those only work if someone finds a way to scan him if they find him.

I just spent the worse two hours of my life hunting for Kodiak. It was a freak thing but he somehow got out of the gate this morning. We live on top of a cliff and in one direction there is a steady, steep gradual drop off into a dry creek. It floods during heavy rains but is dense with trees and brush otherwise. My husband enlisted the support of every neighboring construction worker, yard worker and the like and one of them tracked Kodiak down.

He led us on an intense, merry chase and we finally caught him. His legs are black in covered in...I don't know what and he is coated in burs.
It has been two hours and he is still breathing heavily.
We were lucky today as it is clear a Pyr can cover miles in a short period of time.
I was so frusrated and the only thing I could think of was wishing there were a better way to track a missing dog like a Pyr.

Does anyone have any ideas or experience with this?
Thanks
Christine/Kodiak