[pyrnet] Good-Bye to Zoe

Yesterday morning 20 October we said a sad farewell to Zoe, our rescue Pyr who had lived with us since May 2005. She was 10 years and five months old. For several weeks her health had been failing: her rear legs because weak and she lost weight rapidly, a few pounds a week. Then she slowed down on her eating, and finally stopped for the past four days. Nothing tempted her. She also developed a cough. This morning we (me, Betty and her special caregiver Tina) took her to our vet's and he agreed with us that it was time to let Zoe leave. He suspected cancer.

Here's the story of her life at IPPL: at 8.15 a.m. on Friday 27 May 2005 I received a call from a former employee named Ginny who works for the Charleston SPCA. She has the sad job of performing euthanasia among her duties. When working for me she helped with the care of our first Great Pyrenees Sebastien. On that Friday morning, she checked the work list for the day and found a Great Pyrenees was slated for euthanasia with no chance of adoption. Because the animal had heartworm, there would be no reprieve. Ginny was frantic and asked us please to get her out, so within half an hour my husband was on the way to the SPCA and came back with a very sweet, very scrawny, and very dirty girl named Zoe. Definitely a Pyr, supposedly originating in New Mexico. There was no breeder's name on file. We contacted Martha at Rescue, but Zoe proceeded to ingratiate herself with everyone and never left!

Originally Zoe's main health problem was the heartworms, which was why the SPCA did not plan to put her up for adoption. She was also not spayed. She was an outdoor dog, which means certain heartworm here in South Carolina for an unprotected dog. The owners signed her over as they were moving to Arkansas.

Our vet suggested giving her a monthly Heartguard pill as it would prevent new worms forming and would kill off existing ones within a couple of years. She was too scrawny to risk a full treatment. Amazingly, this treatment worked and Zoe was soon microfilariae and adult worm free.

She enjoyed being a house dog and going outdoors to visit the gibbons. She was very friendly and was thrilled to meet Christine Palmer-Persen who visited IPPL and gave Tina grooming lessons.

Tonight I went out shopping and came home and found myself calling out, "Hello Zoezey," but no tail-wagging Zoe came to the door.

Zoe followed Sebastien, Patou, and Ivy as IPPL's house Pyrs. All were wonderful animals. Good-bye, Zoe, and thanks for your gifts of love to all of us. Shirley

Photos at http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=490579361322&set=a.102197756322.121776.595651322 and http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=462775733887&set=a.124535583887.102181.99981083887

Shirley McGreal, OBE, Chairwoman International Primate Protection League PO Box 766, Summerville, SC 29484, USA Phone - 843-871-2280, Fax- 843-871-7988 E-mail - smcgreal@ippl.org, Web: www.ippl.org

Would you like to help support IPPL's own ape sanctuary? Now you can
sponsor one of IPPL's own gibbons and receive quarterly updates on "your"
gibbon (Courtney, Igor, Tong, Arun Rangsi--or a gibbon of your choice). Just visit
www.ippl.org and click on "Adopt an IPPL Gibbon."