Re: [pyrnet] Dog Food: dry & canned

Hi All:

The Blue Buffalo was going to be the brand I checked out next. I don't want (or need) to get too exotic or pricey but I am concerned about all the fillers in most "grocery store" dog food. There is one brand of canned food that has impressive ingredients available at my local grocery store unfortunately one type has carrots and another has peas. It is so cute how Kodiak can attack a bowl of dog food (with all kinds of stuff in it) and manage to meticulously leave every single pea or diced carrot in his dish. :)

A site similar to the TruthAboutPetFood is one where I discovered how incredibly (and surprisingly) non-nutritious the pet food my Vet sells is. I'm not sure about the site but I found through someone here on PyrNet.

Judith: Very interesting factoid about the Pyrs slow metabolic & their smaller appetite. Another thing that did not occur to me is that the there is another group entirely devoted to raw feeding. Oh boy, I could be doing all kinds of things wrong. Actually, the meat on a soup bone is generous but it is very tough. It takes three hours if used for (human) food prep, so I do devote a few extra steps and a small amount of cooking when I give it to Kodiak.

Oh, Christine: One of Kodiak's favorites is tortellini. We fed him outdoors for his whole life (until three months ago) and it literally changed the ecosystem of our property. The squirrel population doubled and they were all so chubby that when people came they would say, "Wow, how come the squirrels around here are so fat?" Roadrunners and stray cats started hanging about more and deer were no reluctant to mill around our back easements. A lot of that changed after we landscaped how ever.

Thanks all for responding

 Take care and be well,

 Christine/Kodiak