Re: [pyrnet] Help! Bro/Sis Q's New Sister for Kodiak/Rescue Pyr

Hi Shari

Wow, do you have a lot of dogs! I'm no expert but surely there has to be a big difference between a Pyr/Husky & an Aussie Setter? I remember a while back a Pyr mix was on limited time and almost on the way to a kill shelter but I'm not sure if your dog is the dog.

Here is Sugar's listing on Pet Finder

http://www.txpyrs.org/TGPRescue/Public/AdoptableServlet?COMMAND=DETAIL&AIF_NO=1177

The 'before' picture shows Sugar with untreated Entropion - a medical condition in which the eyelid (usually the lower lid) folds inward. It is very uncomfortable, as the eyelashes constantly rub against the eye.

The images after that is more recent.

Then, there is this:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16562978?rvp=1

If you click on the Facebook link that says, "Kodiak Schmidt likes this," it takes you to Kodi's Facebook. I have not updated it forever but there are some images of Kodi

http://www.facebook.com/ItsMeKodiak

She has put on five pounds or so since the second image and slimmed down at the same time. She was kind of a little chubby when we got her because her foster family let her self-feed.

I have several images of Sugar I need to post on Photobucket so I will be sure to post the link when I do.

Thanks for the Easy Walker Harness suggestion. I think it's a good idea for Sugar. I have always used choke chains with a long lead on my dogs and have never, ever in 15 years had to use the choke feature with any of my dogs. I might have had to tug a few times with my old Newfie but that's truly it. As I talk to others I realize I have just been fortunate in this respect - until recently that is.

Just a few days ago I panicked and left myself no choice to tug the choke chain it with Sugar when the Diva of a Great Dane down the street decided she didn't like Sugar. I am still sick with guilt and ashamed every time I recall the choking sounds Sugar made when I tried to contain her. If I had seen another person doing what I did, even in that short period of time, there is no doubt I would have intervened. To top that off, I didn't teach her anything and we made no gains from the experience.  We have worked through a lot in a short period but there are still unknowns. Anyway, I went ahead and ordered the black large one for her.

Christine, Kodiak & Sugar