Re: [pyrnet] French vs. American Heads in the Great Pyrenees

Not much time to write a big reply just now, but really my first question to you (for you to ask yourself) would be - what is more important to you? Winning or breeding/owning and presenting Pyreneans which represent the breed well? Note that whichever one is more important to you may dictate the path you take as unfortunately one isn't always necessarily the same as the other, particularly in the all breeds ring.

I would emphasise that the breed is a French breed (no matter what anyone says that is where the breed originates from - 'French' is not a dirty word!) and knowing its history, purpose, origins and development and how these have shaped how the breed looks and how it is structured is important. If you don't already have it Joe Gentzel's book 'From France With Love' is well worth getting hold of. (note I hate the term 'French Head' etc - go to a show like the RACP Nationale Elevage in Argeles and you will see dogs ranging from one end of the scale to the other ).

From the look of the dogs in the pictures you gave, some are reasonably young and some more mature. Note that this may affect the way they look. A youngster can change a lot in a few years.

When it comes to the dogs in the pictures, I do have a preference (and it is not a dog I am familiar with so no bias there - just going off photos though which can be deceptive at times). Email me privately though if you want to know which one it is and why, as I don't think it necessarily appropriate to go into a commentary on other peoples dogs on a public forum.

Tracy Bassett
Espinay Pyrenean Mountain Dogs
"Putting the Breed before breeding"
Gunning NSW Australia