[WW] Rank and starting equipment (long)

    I've been thinking about the rank question that came up earlier and it has started to bug me.  The idea of characters getting promoted at the end of each adventure just doesn't seem very realistic.  Even having a chance of being promoted doesn't seem very realistic.  Promotions usually, even in war, came after time in service and time in grade(time spent in current rank) requirments were met.  Granted there were exceptions, but they were just that, exceptions.  Battlefield promotions did come along, but they were usually on the spot to replace a senior member that was KIA or WIA.  I think medals are a great idea.  That is what they were for, rewarding heroic and valorious deeds.  Rank was a tool for setting the chain of command.  With rank comes more money and even in times of war the military bueracracy is still tight stringed.

    I think players buying rank during character creation is a good idea.  After that promotions should come from 1.  time in grade requirements (6 months to go from an E-1 private to an E-2 Private First Class) etc.  oe 2.  Game Master promotions when a player's character has been filling a position normally filled by a rank higher than the one he has.  This should be stressed as a huge reward becuase more often than not the military would transfer in someone of the appropriate rank rather than promote someone meritoriously.  For example:  Four players make their characters.  One buys rank so he can be a 2nd Lt.  the other three decide there are better things to spend points on and play buck privates fresh out of boot camp.  They are all assigned to the same platoon (lots of NPCs) THe NPCs make up the remainder of the PCs squad including the squad leader as well as the members of the other squads.  Lets just say this is a brand new "green" unit and the three privates are put in to a fire team together.  Hopefully one of them, through role playing, will take charge of his team.  After an adventure or two, and not necessarilly in combat, the 2nd Lt. player may talk to the GM or the GM may decide on his own to make the player that took charge of the fire team a PFC, a rank befitting his position.  Later on, during the platoons first fight, they take some heavy losses.  The players squad leader goes KIA.  If one of the players does some good roleplaying and takes charge of the squad it would be ok for him to be promoted to corporal.  If however the pc's fend for themselves but don't take charge, they shouldn't get promoted.  Same situation would need to occur for a pc to make sergeant.  The platoon sgt. would need to get WIA or KIA to open the position for one of the PCs to have a shot at promotion.
    The downside of this means that the game will need to include some rudimentary table of organization for basic units.  i.e.:

    Rifle Platoon:
        1 Platton Leader (1st - 2nd Lt)
        1 Platoon Sgt (Sgt+)
        1 Radio Operator (Sgt-Pvt)
        3 Rifle Squads
            Squad Leader (Cpl-Sgt)
            3 Fire Teams
                    FireTeam Leader(PFC-Cpl)
                    3 Riflemen(Pvt-PFC)
            1 Weapons Team
                    Team Leader (PFC-Cpl)
                    1 BAR Gunner (Pvt-PFC)
                    1 Assistant BAR Gunner(PVT-PFC)
                    1 Rifleman(Pvt-PFC)
        1 Weapons Squad
            Squad Leader(Cpl-Sgt)
            2 Weapons Teams
                   Team Leader (PFC-Cpl)
                    1 Machine Gunner (Pvt-PFC)
                    1 Assistant Machine Gunner(PVT-PFC)
                    1 Rifleman(Pvt-PFC)
            1 Weapon Team
                    Team Leader (PFC-PFC)
                    1 Bazooka (Pvt-PFC)
                    1 Assistant gunner (Pvt-PFC)
                    1 Rifleman (Pvt-PFC)

an assosiated Table of Equipment would make it even easier for GM's to flesh out their units and would provide starting weapons for players.  using the above example:

    Rifle Platoon:
        1 Platton Leader (1st - 2nd Lt)         Pistol
        1 Platoon Sgt (Sgt+)                        Thomspon SMG or M-1 Carbine
        1 Radio Operator (Sgt-Pvt)                Pistol or M-1 Carbine(carbine should cost extra points though)
        3 Rifle Squads
            Squad Leader (Cpl-Sgt)                Thompson SMG or M-1 Carbine
            3 Fire Teams
                    FireTeam Leader(PFC-Cpl)     M-1 Carbine or M-1 Rifle
                    3 Riflemen(Pvt-PFC)                M-1 Rifle    (one rifleman per platoon would be the platoon sniper and get a springfield 1904 with scope and bi-pod)
            1 Weapons Team
                    Team Leader (PFC-Cpl)        M-1 Carbine or M-1 Rifle
                    1 BAR Gunner (Pvt-PFC)        BAR
                    1 Assistant BAR Gunner(PVT-PFC) M-1 Rifle
                    1 Rifleman(Pvt-PFC)            M-1 Rifle
        1 Weapons Squad
            Squad Leader(Cpl-Sgt)                    Thompson SMG or M-1 Carbine
            2 Weapons Teams
                   Team Leader (PFC-Cpl)            M-1 Carbine or M-1 Rifle
                    1 Machine Gunner (Pvt-PFC)    .30 Machine Gun
                    1 Assistant Machine Gunner(PVT-PFC)    M-1 Carbine
                    1 Rifleman(Pvt-PFC)                M-1 Rifle
            1 Weapon Team
                    Team Leader (PFC-PFC)        M-1 Carbine or M-1 Rifle
                    1 Bazooka (Pvt-PFC)            Bazooka and pistol
                    1 Assistant gunner (Pvt-PFC)    M-1 Rifle
                    1 Rifleman (Pvt-PFC)            M-1 Rifle

Promotions before time in grade should only come if their is a vacancy open in the table of organization.  Some specialized units were slightly different depending or training requirements.  Airborne and Rangers spent enough time in training that everyone was a PFC unless they had gotten in trouble and lost rank.  The GM should be reserved the right to promote characters as a reward for good role-playing and if their is a vacancy for the rank.
The table of Equipment will prevent players making up squads loaded with thompsons or bazookas.  The only unit I have read about that could choose any weapon they wanted was the rangers and they still stuck to the norm out of choice more often than not.  If you think about it, this game will be completely different from almost every other roleplaying game in the fact that characters don't get a lump some of points/money to buy what ever equipment they want.  The military issues the soldier what they need (and better hope supply has it in stock(there;s a evil idea, come up with the basic issue uniforms, socks, pack, etc plus weapon and ammo but put an availability numer with the items, then have the players roll to see what the supply sgt. had to give them and what they just have to go without))  During a mission players would of course be able to loot the dead but after the missions anything over an enemy pistol or knife was usually confiscated.  Otherwise you would have seen a whole bunch of americans running around with MP-40s.

    I think equipment may be one area that will need a major deviation from normal game rules to keep it realistic.

    On a roll tonight but that just made me think of something else.  Weapons familiarity.  Although anyone could pick up a gun and pull the trigger reguardless of type of weapon and origin of manufacture.  Your standard grunt in the grass would not be familiar with the maintanence and upleep of very many weapons.  Enlisted Americans would all be familiar with the M-1 rifle and officers with the .45 pistol.  But they would not all be familiar with the M-1 carbine, the thompson, a bazooka, a bar or a .30 MG, let alone an enemy or even allied weapon.  Should they use a weapon they are not familiar with and it jam they would have next to no chance of clearing it.  The same would go for enemy equipment.  In the play test notes the heroes stealing the german APC should have taken some serious rolls just to start the thing.  I don't think familiarity should necessarily be something that a player would have to spend points on, but it should be something the 1. they must spend game time using and 2. must either have someone familiar with a new weapon show them how to maintain and use it or spens a lot of time figuring it out.  For example, any gun enthuisiasts out there, there is a big difference of how you disassemble a baretta 9mm and a Colt Sigma .40  and for those who do or don't know putting the Sigma back together if someone hasn't shown you the secret little 2 buttoins to hold down would be next to impossible.  Or the S&W 4046 (alos .40) will not fire if the magazine is not fully seated inside the weapon.  From experience while I was in the Marine Corps my buddy (who was my units armourer) and I bought a WW2 british lee enfield bolt action .303 rifle.  It took us a whole weekend to figure out how that very simple piece of equipment was stripped all the way down and put back together.

Well, I'm going to get off of my soap box now, sorry for ranting and thanks for listening.

Mikhael