Re: [WW] Rank and starting equipment (long)

Keep in mind, players will often start in a typical military unit like you described, but as soon as the horror starts and the players learn about it, they are recruited into the OSI, where the typical organization no longer applies.  Life ends up much more like a commando team, where anyone could be anything up to a staff sergeant, and there could even be a few officers attached.
While this isn't exactly true to military life, the game isn't meant to be a squad-level military simulation, it's much more of a heavily military-flavored horror game.  Too, it's D20, and that isn't exactly a true-to-life system, either.
That said, it is still important to keep that military flavor, so I'm sure we will whenever possible.  Any advice you have to help us keep that flavor is appreciated.

Jason.