Re: [WW] First WeirdWars Session

Matt Smith wrote:
> You betcha. The OSI will begin keeping an eye on our heros and start
> manipulating things behind the scenes.

Why? The only one who knows anything is the Sarge and anyone who looks at
the odd MG nest is going to call engineering, not the OSI.  If Sarge
shoots his mouth off in front of some brass or even other NCOs enough,
then he'd get reported, and then the OSI might come knockin'.  When the
OSI comes, based on Sarge's performance, they may or may not recruit him.
 It would make sense for them to send him on a few "priority" missions
just to test his mettle.

The point is that horror is hard to do.  It's even more difficult when
the PCs are all heavily armed and have the clearance to use their toys at
will:

"Sarge, they look like....like they're part dog, with big teeth and ...."

"Izzat so?  Tell ya what, Corporal, call Arty cuz he doesn't care what
they look like."

The OSI is just one more toy, a security blanket, but still a toy.  By
introducing the characters to a government organization that knows about,
and is specifically geared toward fighting, the supernatural--you remove
a lot of the isolation that is so important to running a horror
effectively.

The OSI is a cool idea, but my vote is running the game for as long as
possible without any evidence to tip off the OSI.  The descent into
wierdness should be long, slow, and cause for the PCs to doubt their
sanity.  I think the exitless machine gun nest was perfect in this
regard--especially the charred corpse still going through the motions of
reloading.  Nice Job.

Happy Gaming,

screenmonkey
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!