[WW] Pilots/Navigate/Equipment

For the record, Pilots could be non-commissioned officers.  In the dark
days of the Battle of Britain, many non-com's flew sorties for the RAF
and the RNAS.  Same applies for Polish, Czech, and French pilots flying
from bases in Britain.  However, the lowest rank that I am aware of for a
pilot is a Sargeant.  Hence, teh rank feat is appropriate, even if the
character is not a commissioned officer.  Considering the time frame of
the base BOTR rules (post D-Day), all pilots, those actually flying the
planes, would be of at least Warrant Officer rank (a rank inbetween the
nco's and commissioned officers).  All American pilots would be at least
a 2nd lieutenant, with more leeway for the European nationalities.  I'm
not sure about Soviet pilots, as I am not very familiar with the WW2
structures of teh Red Air Force.
        As for Navigate, we gave it as a class skill for Pilots, Scouts,
and officers.  In all three cases, we considered it something of a
logical decision as each requires the use of maps, compasses, and
orientation to do their jobs.  What good is a scout who can't read a map,
even if they have the Path Finder ability?  A pilot who can't find his
target is rather useless as well.  And of course Officers simply must
know where they are, so that the art'y barrage doesn't fall on their head
(Incoming! not with standing).  For all the other classes, it should be a
cross class skill.  Even in the US Army, while map reading was a general
skill, orientation was not.  So, while the average US grunt could read a
map, he couldn't necessarily plot a course or use a compass to figure out
their exact position on it.  This applies even today to modern
militaries, as evidenced by the Soviet example given already, or by the
events of teh US invasion of Grenada.
        The equipment is fairly general in the rules so that it can apply
to any and all nationalities, Allied or Axis.  They are not detailed in
DFA, but some general decriptions can be presented:
Bomber jaket: Leather jacket with fleece lining (or comparable material).
 Used by bomber crews flying at high altitudes to ward off the cold.
(approximately 3lbs)
Binoculars: Just that.  While there is variation between makers, the
differences are generally too smal to be game mechanic factors.
(1/2-1lb)
Survival kit: Few days rations (2-3 max), some cash (or equivalent),
water filter of some sort (usually a piece of cloth to place over a
canteen or cup), salt tablets (more common in N.Africa and Pac), fishing
line and hooks, and a personal med kit (conisisting of basic med
supplies).  A kit may or may not include a flare gun and 2-3 flares.
(5-8lbs)

As for the stacking of armor bonuses, the d20 system does not use a hit
location concept, so that as you add protection to more areas, your armor
value goes up.  The description of this already given was very good, and
covers the basic ideas behind it.

Josh R

"No matter where you go, there you are."  B.Bonzai