[WW] Con report

Con Report:

For those of you interested, here's how the WW marathon at the Excaliber UK
convention went…

The con started badly from a WW point of view, with no players signing up to
defend Stalingrad.  Mid morning on Saturday I managed to grab a total of six
players, including five complete newbies who were, to say the least, a
little hesitant at this strange game.

The squad consisted of a lieutenant, a sergeant and four privates, all
starting the game with very limited equipment for third level characters.
Due to the lack of the Eastern Front rules there were no player commissar
characters present, but that will change next time (wahahahahaha).

Mission one was, as you may remember, the rescue of an ammo train sent to
the train station in error.  The player soon became engrossed in the game
and reacted appropriately to the arrival of fire elementals by hosing them
with lead.  When the Germans launched an assault of four tanks (two Panzer
I's and two Panzer II's) they managed to destroy the two Panzer II's with
field guns and rove back the infantry with heavy fire.  As true Soviets they
drained the engines of anti-freeze to make alcohol!!  When the train did
arrive they showed no hesitation in blowing it up with a satchel charge.

Mission two involved attacking an artillery base with the intention of
gaining one of the new "incendiary" shells for NKVD analysis.  First they
ambushed an SS colonel on his way out of the base and stole his uniform,
using it to infiltrate the base.  When the shit hit the fan they hosed down
over 60 Wehrmacht troops for no losses, one character gaining the medal of
Hero of the Soviet Union (equivalent to the CMOH) in the process.  They
successfully stole the shell and also two Flak 88's.  On the way back
through Stalingrad hey encountered three motorcycles, but thwarted them by
riving the two Flak 88 trucks side by side and using the guns as armour.

On mission three, which was played on Sunday, we had a ten-man squad (word
had spread and everyone suddenly wanted to play WW).  Delving deep into the
German research base they lose two characters, including the Hero of the
Soviet Union, and achieved a partial success by denying future access to the
Germans.

OK, so I took it easy on them, but they had a brilliant time and the Germans
did roll over 20 "1's" on their attack rolls over the twleve hours we played
(bloody crap equipment!!)

All of the players enjoyed the game, so much so that four of them hassled
the sole trader for a copy of the rules!!  At the next con I plan to attend
there will be a game just for these guys.  Anyone in the UK who wants to
join what is rapidly becoming a Living-style game should venture down to
Conceptions in Bournemouth next February.

The con also raised $3500 for charity.  Not bad for only 180 people.

My deepest thanks to all at Pinnacle for their raffle support.  I'll be in
contact soon for more :)

Wiggy