Re: [DL] PT Barnum

david.tabb@msfc.nasa.gov writes:

<< Hi guys.  Happy new calendar.

     Nuts to this millenium crap! It's the year 5760, I tell ya!

 I was wondering whatever became of PT Barnum in the Deadlands universe.  In
 our world, by the 1870's he was touring with the Barnum and Bailey Circus.
 However, he also was a devoted fundraiser for the North and opponent of
 slavery during the Civil War.  So, is he still raising funds for the
 protracted war, or did he retire from the fight once slavery was abolished
 and return to showmanship?  _Back East: the North_ probably says, but I
 don't have access to that right now.  I thought it would be a fun idea to
 inject the traveling circus into the path of my posse, but I'd like to stick
 with established history wherever I can.   >>

     Barnum isn't in BEtN, but you're right in that he would make great
Deadlands fodder. I can easily see him as an agent for the Pinkertons,
travelling the countryside spreading misinformation and lies about the
Reckoning with a circus full of fake freaks and abominations (possibly with a
few real ones mixed in). I think that Barnum himself would make a great
huckster, swindling the manitous out of their power and playing puerile
pranks on the Things That Should Not Be.

                ---Ghoull