Re: Zip vs. CD-RW (was: [DL] Please read if you have submittedanything recen...

zacharin@pluto.dsu.edu writes:

<< Yes, but a *GOOD* burner will run you about $300 minimum (for a
Hewlett-Packard), but it's still worth it considering what you pay for the
respective media vs. how much the media cost.  A pack of 10 CD-RWs should
cost somewhere around $30 or $40, which, when formatted for direct access,
would provide about 5.3 *gigs* of storage, compared to the 300 or 400 *megs*
that paying the same amount for 100 meg Zip disks would provide (I don't know
how much the Zip 250s cost).

 Nick "denouncing the devil Iomega in all its forms" Zachariasen >>

Well, I do work for a major computer chain store and I can tell you that you
have got a good deal for a HP burner for 300 bucks. As for a pack of CD-RW`s
well, they don't quite that much each. You have them coming out as about 3 to
4 bucks each, I can tell you, you can do much better for good CD`s that wont
turn out to be coasters. As for the Zip 250`s, I say stick with the burner, a
much better investment in the long run. So much in fact that with a burner
there are ways to do your own music CD`s, but you cant use CD-RW`s.  :-)

Grimm