Re: [DL] New to the list...lookin' for suggestions.

darkwingone@hotmail.com writes:

<< I'm actually getting ready to run a new campaign about a group of
 mercenaries rollin' down the tracks in a war train equipped to cannonball
 the crap out of any abominations they find.  My posse will have access to
 weapons like the secret service's Browning Semi-automatic pistol
 and...heh,heh,heh,heh,heh...tommy guns. I actually did the Marshal thing and
 came up with stats for the Thompson Submachine gun (hey, I like tommy guns,
 okay?).  I figured it might at least a little bit appropriate, since one of
 the most famous adss for the tommy gun features a cowpoke using a tommy gun
 to fight off rustlers on his ranch.

 Other than that, do you guys have any suggestions? >>

     I'd say you should have somebody (besieged rural villages in search of
aid are always popular in westerns) hire the posse to go up against Santa
Anna and his Army of Night. It sounds to me like these characters are itching
for a good fight, and due to their plentiful armaments and mercenary
occupation, Santa Anna would be a perfect villain for them. Stopping his
zombified legions from overrunning a town or helping refugees escape his
demonic cavalry would present an appropriate challenge to even the most
heavily-armed posses.

     Be sure to have fun with that train of theirs, by the way. The Weird
West is full of bandits, railroad thugs, warlords, giant abominations, and
gremlins, all of whom see a big, heavily-armed train as either a threat, an
opportunity, or a lunch. And even if they manage to survive those encounters,
they might have trouble convincing the legitimate authorities that they're
good guys while wheeling about in a steam-belching doom machine. Not to
mention the mundane costs of fuel, maintenance, parking, etc.

                    ---Ghoull