Re: [DL] 5 Deck of Cards

At 09:37 AM 1/11/00 +0330, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>Ghoull I'm wondering if you can wrap your creative talents around this
>idea, Brian has sent me an idea for a Relic found within the Museum.
>A deck of cards with 5 Suits the fifth being Monoliths, I intend to give
>these to my hexslinger but want something particularly unique about the
>Cards in terms of what they do.

No, I'm obviously not ghoul...  but this subject piqued my interest.

Legend has it that the playing cards deck was originally based on the
gypsy's tarot cards, so that the four suits reflected the minor arcana, the
four "elements" as was percieved in mediaeval eastern europe, with the
larger fifth being the Major Arcana.  The "major" cards might be what led
to the un-numbered "Royal" cards, jacks, queens and kings.

If you look at other cultures and times, you'll find that the "elements"
might be interpreted very differently.  For instance, you could have metal,
law or chaos...  you could include reference to the eight spheres of magic
as per the AD&D concepts....

Did you only want 5 suits?

If you get into the tarot influence of the playing cards, keep in mind that
the major arcana, the "major suit", can be of somewhat touchy sensibility
to people with experience in wicca, pagan, independent christian or other
"new age" beliefs.  Keeping it "elemental" may be easier all round....
unless you also like playing Call of Cthulhu.

Most kind regards, Countess Kristina von Otter

  ~~ Ananke's Myomorpha ~~
http://members.dingoblue.net.au/~farrall
rats, roleplaying, politics and the odd geek.