[DL] Marshal and Chips

Since we're talking chips...
I let my players pull one random chip at the start of each session, and I
give them one white chip for roleplaying rather than wasting the night
shopping and doing administrative stuff.  Combat's been pretty easy and
infrequent (which I realize is my fault and intend to hurt them later) so
they're building up a reserve.  When I run a published adventure and the
book says "Give 3 points for..." I give a blue chip to each posse member,
and so on.  I also apply the 10-chip max rule.

But still, when they do run into a fight, the only chips I have to spend for
the bad guys is what I got when they spent a red chip to help a roll or two.
I have maybe 2 or 3 for all the bad guys while each good guy has 5-10.  I
get the distinct impression I'm forgetting something or doing something
wrong.  How do I get more chips to counteract theirs, that I'm not doing?

David
(I feel like such a newbie asking a question like this.)