Re: [DL] Order initiative phases by useing Quickness die types

In a message dated 1/17/00 1:56:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
CSCRATCHY1@aol.com writes:

<< i think it would have a few problems with first deadlands and hoe are
 supposed to be simple games to play why make them more complicated when the
 way it works now is o k  >>

How is calling d12, d10, d8, d6, d4 (yeha, right how many have a d6, let
alone a d4 Quickness?) complicated how?

Any more complicated than rolling dice, drawing cards and calling Ace, King,
Queen, Jake, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3 & 2?

Sure the system I am messing with has 4-die types, but the card system has
4-card types.

One can have a small note with player/character/quickness on it, placeing it
in order of Quickness, and call them off in order.

One reason-
I have 8-players and combat takes forever!

Another more serious reason-
One player cheats with his die rolls - he has 2d6 Quickness and never draws
less than 4-cards (4-7 cards really).  This would be a quick fix for
initiative cheating, but not for the other cheating rolls.  The problem is
that no one wants to tell him that he is cheating (he is a friend).  The
players with 4d12 and 4d10 (heck anything more than 2d6) get cheated and
never get to "shine" as the 2d6 cheater acts twice as much and kills
everything.  So I am exploring other ideas in a effort to "level the playing
field" without the out and out effort of making it obvious that I think he is
a cheater.  We do try to watch his rolls, but the playing environment of a
living room makes it very easy to cheat.  After all what is fair about one
player having twice as many turns as another - by cheating?

Besides this would be a very suitable, very just, very poetic justice like,
and a beautiful irony as his 2d6 is the lowest initiative in the group - he
will go last and only twice.  He could still cheat in combat, but the other
players will have a fair crack at it.

It is for this second reason I seek another method of initiative.

Just a thought,
Rich Gray