[DL] Re: Attrition Rate

I've been running a deadlands game for 2 years now, and I've lost 1
character to being killed in any knd of legitimate sense (there were other
characters who "retired" however). To me, it makes perfect sense that you
can kill an unwounded person in a single pistol shot. Happens all the time
in the real world. I think playing D&D and similar games for too many year
gives you certain snese of near-invulnerability in Player Characters (how
many 3rd level fighters are going to die from one arrow shot? Very Few. How
many 10th level fighters can be taken down by anything other than a rain of
high-powered fireballs - None!), which I am happy to lose in my game. If you
are experiencing a high mortality rate, throw a few more chips in your PC's
direction (if they deserve 'em). Manipulate hit location rolls so instead of
killing the poor slubs they lose an arm or a leg instead. A nice scarred
posse always looks that much cooler.
Reuben McCallum