From: PEGGoff@aol.com
To: deadlands@gamerz.net
Subject: Re: [DL] What to do with a cheater
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2000 15:11:25 EST

In a message dated Fri, 4 Feb 2000  1:49:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Chris
Aniballi" <aniballi@mc.net> writes:

 > He has, on several occasions, recorded more fate chips than he has,

Have the players turn in the fate chips to you at the end of the night and
record them yourself. Then, at the beginning of the next session, pass out
the leftover chips yourself instead of letting the players get their own. Of
course, they can then take their draws as normal--unless he's cheating on
this too...

(shudder)

 > rolls
 > constantly and only stops when he gets a roll he likes (never under a 14
on
 > his 3d8 quickness....), reports what I have been told by other players as
 > higher totals than he has actually rolled. He sits on the far end of the
 > table

Had a player just like this in one of my D&D games. Always seemed to hit ACs
that odds said he'd miss 9 times out of ten, sat as far from me as he could,
and quickly picked up his dice right after he rolled them so no one else
could see his result.

The way I handled him was to let him perform his dice-rolling fudges and
then just completely discount whatever his results were--without letting him
know. F'rinstance, he'd tell me he did 20 points of damage, and I'd nod and
scribble a useless note on the paper, but otherwise make no change to the
NPC. If he suffered some attack that allowed some resistance roll (which,
BTW, he _always_ made), I made sure to give it a half-strength effect even
if the roll was made.

Basically, as the omnipotent being in the game, I offset his cheating by
doing it myself. None of this ever applied to the other players of course,
but he did start to notice he _never_ got the killing blow with his
"amazing" rolls. My response, "Hmm. Go figure--maybe it's not all about the
dice rolls..."

Slowly he got the message and became one of the more fun players in the
group.

However, I wouldn't have hesitated to ask him to leave if his actions were
curtailing the other players' enjoyment of the game.

Sorry to hear it,

John

	unsubscribe deadlands