Re: [DL] What to do with a cheater

Hello,

     I've been running games for going on 13 years.  I've met all kinds of
players, but the most fun I have is when I find a cheater.  Let me tell you
about my favorites to do to these poor witless fools, who have obviously
forgotten that it is just a game.

     -I have such sights to show you......   -Pinhead

Part 1.  Identifying a Cheater.

     This is the easiest part.  Cheater's are so bad, they can't help but
get caught.  In such a social game someone is going to notice.  Especially,
when most of your group doesn't cheat.  (We can hope).

Part 2.  Decide the severity of his cheating.

     Is he interrupting game play?  Is he breaking your storyline?  Or
causing dissention among your players?  Is he cheating in such a way as to
actually irritate the Game Master?  If not, who cares, as long as he's
having fun and you are too, it shouldn't matter that he doesn't think he can
make it unless he cheats.  On the other hand, if "yes" was the answer to any
of the aformentioned questions, read on, as I give you some idears' on how
to fix his wagon.....

Part 3.  Paybacks are a bitch......And revenge is a dessert best served
cold.

Method 1.  Simple, straight forward and to the point.  Tell him.  Inform him
you don't appreciate it, and if he doesn't quit, you may be forced to ask
him to leave the game.  However, this is usually only a temp fix.  A cheater
will lie to you.  That's part of the game, you see.

Method 2.  Use your players to police the others.  A little Gestapo, but
what the hay?  The party watches eachother, like hawks.  How do you
reinforce this?  Offer bounty!!!  Example:  One player cheats, other player
notices it, and verbally calls him on it.  You thank him for his
participation in keeping the game exciting, by weeding out unnecessary
cheating.  Then you give him a white chip!  But wait, don't give it to him
out of the pot....Heh, heh, heh.  Give it to him right out of the cheater's
pile, or his not yet received winnings.  Kind of turns your players into
buzzards, but hey, they don't have to do it if noone cheats.  Right?

Method 3.  Easy, Breezy.  Kill the card cheatin' bastard.  A stray bullet,
flys right under the back of his helmet, and pops his spine in two.......
The sword slices right past his defenses with a whopping 33 for the roll!!!
And tags him with a fatal wound in the heart......  His kick ass, turbo
machine, his junker made.....  Well, he forgot to wire the carbuerator
correctly, and the next time he throws the ignition, bam!!!  Heh, heh......
You get the idea?

Method 4.  Smile and Nod.  In this insidious defense, we find the fine art
of cheating back....usefully.  Never give out target numbers.  Just say,
"I'm sorry you missed".  Or "No, because of modifiers you needed to roll
higher".  When he does seem to hit, just don't mark it down.  Don't count
his success, he misses his scrounge roll to find ammo casings in the middle
of a military depot.  Can't stop the bleeding from a knee scrape with a
medicine roll.  You got it?  Sooner or later, he'll get ticked.  What do you
do?  See Method 1.

Method 5.  He can't hurt you if he can't reach you.  This one requires
imagination, so I'll just give you an example:  A player of mine couldn't
help but cheat.  (This was for AD&D, by the way).  So one day after going
through a magic portal (Dimensional Gate?), he came out on the otherside as
a harmless, little, intelligent squirrel (Hell of a Mutation, maybe?).  He
didn't last long, as one of the non-sympathetic dwarves in the party (How
about a Mutant, or a Savage), scooped him up for lunch.  The moral of this
story, not much a cheater can do when the Game Master calls in HIS coup.
Just stay out of the way and for Pete's sake, don't cheat!!!  It's just a
game?!?!

                                 Jason Adkins