Re: [DL] 'Different' campaign ideas? (spoilers for FF8... Kind of)

Ok, I will try to shorten a hundred hours down to a few paragraphs, so here goes

8

Ok, now that I have made myself abundantly clear, (I still say you should rent a
play station and ff8 for a week)

Here goes....

Basically there is a group of heroes (hehe, yeah, that's a good way to explain
it without letting on) who's consciousness are being sent back in time into the
bodies of some lesser known heroes, to help the heroes of the past and to learn
about the current threat, the same threat that was affecting both sets of
heroes.  The heroes of the past have no idea this was happening, but they did
feel the powers of the heroes of the future. The heroes of the future are
completely aware of what they are witnessing, but can't really control the
actions of the heroes of the past, only remember it, it seems like a dream...
especially cause their future selves pass out when it happens. (think of it as a
manitou witnessing what a harrowed does)  Also the heroes of the Future have no
idea why they are witnessing the past though.  This happened numerous times int
he game, and led to many instances where the character knowledge they learned in
the past helped them out immensely in the future.  Eventually they figure out
why they are going back, (to learn about the evil) and meet with their "Past
selves", now much older, who now know much more about the evil, as they have
grown into positions of power over their lives and experiences as heroes.  They
tell them how to defeat the evil and all that stuff and they continue on from
there.

There is my incredibly bad synopsis of FF8, I really don't do the game justice.
If you are serious about this, I would buy a memory card, costs very little, and
rent a play station and FF8 for a week and play through it... or just ask one of
your players, one of them are bound to have it, and ask if you can borrow it
cause someone on the net said you HAD to play it.

But here is how I would run it if I were you... I might even run it myself...
(damn people for giving me too many ideas)

1.  End One session with all of the characters going to sleep or passing out.

2.  Next session show up with pre-genned characters (probably need a Mad
Scientist and a priest for what I have in mind, fill in the rest with what ever
you feel would work best), one for every pc in your game...

3.  Say "tonight we are going to do something... different"

4.  Run through the beginning of your overall master plan/adventure, jumping
them right into the middle of a battle would work nicely, award no bounty at the
end

5.  Next session tell them that when they wake up they have full memories of
what happened the previous week, award half of the bounty they would have earned
from the previous adventure... and play for the next week or two as normal...
until they reach a place that seems familiar... perhaps where they were in the
"Dream"

6.  They have another "encounter with the past", but some time has passed since
they last visited these bodies (aka, you should upgrade the characters between
sessions), perhaps they encounter the evil for the first time, and the group in
the past are now very close, nothing could separate them.  They should also
encounter the much younger self of someone they briefly met in the in the future
(this would be the person who is sending their consciousness back in time)

7.  Next Session, wake up and award as last time, characters should be quite
confused by now... a good time for them to first meet the evil

8.  Time goes on, repeat Time jumping where necessary, have both sets encounter
the evil, but have the past find a weakness to it.

9.  Eventually the Present time posse will find a "hidden town", a town hidden
from the normal world by a combination of the past's priest's Blessing, and the
past mad's technology (maybe the invention was going to do a lot of bad, but the
priest blessing fixed it to protect the town).  when they posse gets in, they
will meet the "mayor" of the town... who was the "leader" of the posse of the
past.  They learn that the shield around the town hides them from normal people,
but it somehow opens a weakness in the evil... a weakness that makes it stay
away from them.  Someone in the present posse (if they want the bounty that
is...) should suggest that the Mad make a weapon out of the "shield device" that
would allow them to defeat the evil.  If not have someone in the town suggest it
after hearing the horrors that the evil has been causing since they hid from the
world.

10.  They use the device to open the weakness in the evil (which turns an
impossible battle into an extremely tough battle), and hopefully defeat it.

Sound about like what you had in mind?

Let me know if you have anything that you are going to add or remove, cause I am
thinking of fleshing this out and using it myself, and could use some additional
input. (namely, what the evil would be.)

Hope you like it...
Dirk "PLAY THE GAME!" R.

p.s.  I finally got to play my wild man last tuesday... I like it... can't wait
to try the powers