[DL] Foundry Cowboys

>. The main  problem is scale. The PEG minitures are
> oversized 30mm. while the Foundry are more realistic 25 or 28mm. When I
> comparedthe samples with the gunmen from the GRW boxed set, they looked
> like pygies. As much as I wanted to, I couldnt use the two types of
> models together, without serious visual dissonance.

Personally, I've invested quite happily in Foundry minis.  They do look
undersized next to PEG's boys, but the solution is simple - don't put them
next to each other.

It's easy to pick out a posse of PEG boys and put them over there, and a
posse of Foundry boys and put them over here.  Only rarely do they have to
stand side-by-side, and surprisingly only then does the size difference
really jump out at you.

The big reason I decided to mix-and-match was for the diversity.  I want to
flesh out my Dixie Rails and Union Blue armies, but I don't want to limit
myself to the one posse pack available to us from PEG.  Besides, Foundry and
Old Glory offer a wealth of things that PEG hasn't released (and probably
won't, doggone it).  I have Old Glory wagons and caissons and a stage coach,
I have Ral Partha Gatling guns, I have Foundry U.S. Cavalry troops, and I
have PEG Devil Bats.  It's a happy menagerie.  If you haven't seen the
Foundry's Zombie Cowboys, you owe it to yourself to go look it up.  They are
stunning.  See them at:

   http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/OldWest2.html

I have pieced together an excellent Pinkerton posse from Foundry men in
bowlers.  They are armed with pistols, a shotgun, and rifles.  Of course they
are not Gatling weapons, but one does have to make compromises.  Only
recently, the Foundry has come out with some African Tribal Musketmen in
European Hats and Coats for their Darkest Africa line, and I daresay this is
as close as we'll ever get to Cajun Hunters in our lifetimes.  See these guys
at:

   http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/DarkestAfrica6.html

The Foundry also offers things we want in GRW -- Mexicans, Indians, and all
sorts of really cool ACW stuff.  If a little thing like scale will stop you,
then just remind yourself that PEG is now no longer manufacturing miniatures.
 Go where your heart tells you to spend lots of money.

Tom Huntington
The Truth Is Yonder