[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000224-1

(One of them tends to get five actions every round, that's 10, 5D6,
>>bullets to the head - ouch [we still use the old rules or the >>damage
would be worse - four shots an action with a double action >>pistol!).  Add
to this fact that another character has a pistol >>which is pretty hot (a
relic) plus the another can fire a rifle, >>hitting a NPC's head almost all
of the time the damage could become >>horrendous (also last but not least is
the Huckster, who is >>actually pretty balanced in what he can do). Simply
saying that >>someone is immune to bullets is a bit of a cop out (and I've
used >>it a few times before now), I've also used armour (or armor,
>>depending on what side of the water you are on), but I was >>wondering if
anyone else has encountered this problem and how they >>dealt with it. I
thought that it might also be a problem when the >>characters encounter
Stone.

>I would handle this problem simply. Say there is some kind of energy >field
around him, or any other great opponent for that matter) that >disrupts only
called shots. This should make any posse more wary as >they have to live in
fear of the d20 location table again.

I like the idea of a field that blocks calling shots. Perhaps once combat
starts, the opponent is filled with an (for lack of a better word) eldritch
heat that causes the air around him to waver like a mirage on a hot day.
(That's a nice, visual way to describe it to the posse, too.) Alternately, a
field with an appearance similar to that of the personal shields from the
movie, "Dune", wherein the image of the user wobbled (again, for lack of a
better term) about enough to prevent called shots (well, it didn't really
work in the movie, as the user did end up getting shot in the head, but in
your campaign it could work).

Well, my quarter's up...

Derek D. Bass

Etheric Musings -- The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://web.cari.net/~ddbass/Ether.htm
FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001