[DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000224-2

John said,

Sure. I'm still inclined to go with a DB 2 for a rifle
that's been "modified" to accept one. Can anyone provide me
a real-world example of a Winchester-type rifle actually
being modified to accept one?

	You could simply have a bayonet that incorporated
the mounting itself... A tubular "hilt" that goes around
the barrel, with a worm tightening strip or a bolt to
secure it. This is how a lot of WW2 rifles operated... The
actual rifle had no specific bayonet mounts at all, but in
most cases any bayonet could be attached to any gun.
	Modern bayonets usually have specific mountings for
ease of use, but if you don't mind having to spend maybe 20
seconds attaching it, then there's really no need for a
modification to the rifle. Perhaps a slot-mount model would
be slightly more secure, so you might want to reduce the DB
to reflect the bayonet being knocked about, or give it a
malfuction role of 18 or so.

--
Andrew Cunningham