Re: [DL] persuading against the odds

Patrick Phalen wrote:

> > But you want to smooth-talk your way into an awkward
> > situation, it seems a
> > lot of Marshals (refs, game masters, what have you)
> > expect you to come up
> > with a compelling argument that you present instantly,
> > eloquently, and
> > completely in character.
>
> My perspective comes from seeing players try it on other
> players.  When you get a situation where the character 1
> *certainly* wouldn't do something, both players know it,
> but the player 2, tries to manipulate the rules/rolls to
> force player 1's hand, I said "enough is enough"
>
> Granted, I run non-combat dice rolls a bit backwards,
> anyway...
> For example, if the posse is searching for a clue I need
> them to find, they all roll search.  Low rolls will turn up
> "directional" clues.  Higher rolls will get the what they
> are looking for.  Really high rolls will get them things
> they didn't even think to be looking for.
>
> Persuasion is similar.  If a player says, "I persuade him"
> chunk-achunka-"nine!" They usually need a fairly high roll.
>  If they at least put forth some effort to RPing the
> encounter, they need a medium roll.  If they put forth an
> extraordinary RP effort, they need a lower roll.
>
> Capice?
>
> Patrick

My only exception to social interactions is PCs versus other PCs.  If the players agree, rolls mean
something.  Otherwise, it ALL role-playing.

--
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves
  on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

Lord Jobe, God of Psiberspace (The Landscape of My Mind)
"Universes Exist in My Mind."
ICQ# 17774785