Re: [DL] persuading against the odds

| Again though, what about players that are simply not as articulate?
| They get SCREWED!

By not getting fate chips you mean?  Remember, there are myriad ways to
gain fate chips, both within the game mechanics and without.  Maybe the
inarticulate player loses out on gaining chips for role-playing persuasion;
he could just as easily make up for this by coming up with clever ideas,
breaking people in Overawe tests, etc.

The fate chips are simply a motivating factor for people to role-play the
persuasion.  If they get a chip or not, they still need to make the skill
test, with no bonuses or penalties based on RP.

Soon, we shall see how my method works.  I'm about to start a new HoE game
for a group I've never run DL for.  I've been running BNW, so I have a
pretty good idea of the group dynamic, however.

In said group, we have a couple of gaming vets.  They both seem to enjoy in
character RP, and they both seem to do pretty decently at it.  Next, we
have a woman fairly new to role-playing (table top, at any rate).  She's
pretty quiet in character, but OoC, she gets in some zingers now and then.
We're trying to get her more involved in IC stuff.  She'll do alright, I
suspect.  Fourth, we have a veteran roll-player.  That was not a typo.
I've gamed with this guy for years, unfortunately, and I've pretty much
given up on bringing him around.  Finally, we have "new guy".  Yes, that's
right, the menace of "new guy" has reared its ugly head in my group.
Seriously, he seems ok.  I can't judge his play style yet, as I've only
gamed with him for one session of L5R, and he spent most of that asleep
under a wagon (thanks to a bit of magic).

I figure if it works for this group, a group that runs the gamut in RP
skill and participation, it'll work for almost anybody.

B. D. Flory
ICQ# 53912341