Re: [DL] Lever action rifles

At 02:15 PM 3/4/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I recently got a copy of Law Dogs and it says in it that you can fan lever
>action rifles. Has anyone ran into any problems with this? It seems a bit
>powerful
>to allow anyone (PC or NPC) to be firing off 3 rounds at 4d8 each.
>Personally I'm leaning towards setting the limit at say only 2 or at the
>most 3 shots.
>Any "official" or house rulings on this?

Well - the only thing I have in the AR is this:
Weapons: Winchester, fannin
Q)	While flipping threw Law Dogs and checking out the weapon notes, this
thought occurred to me:  Winch 73, weapon notes: LA (Lever action)  Under
lever action, it says: "and can be fanned"  Does this mean you can fan a
winch?  I know the TN would be incredible, but I just want to make sure I
am reading this right.  Can someone give  me a ruling? - darklord
A)	You're reading that correctly.  In this case the "fanning" isn't like
fanning a revolver where you rapidly pull the hammer back with one hand,
it's more like a rapid combination of levering and pulling the trigger, but
in game terms they're both just a "special effect" for filling the air with
a lot of lead quickly.      In the original draft of LAW DOGS, fannin' a
lever action rifle required the Fannin': Lever Action aptitude.  However,
during editing the rules were changed, eliminating the need for that
requirement. [Steve Long, DL Listserv, 12/20/99]

For a house rule - I'd probably just double the penalties for fannin' and
also limit the number of potential shots to 3.
Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Major Charles Emerson Winchester, the Third:
What do you two-bit quacks know about chickens?  Did you learn about them
in medical school, or did you just read the comic book?