RE: [DL] Call for discussion, re: Vulgarity

Be sure to let us know if you do decide to ask folks whether the current
policy toward vulgarity is acceptable.

In the mean time, my own personal policy toward vulgarity when writing for
public forums such as this one runs as follows:

'Hell' and 'damn' are useful emphasizers for phrases. I don't use them all
the time, but I do use them whenever the hell I damn well please...

Also, 'ass' is okay, and I've included 'crap' a handful of times, when I was
truly worked up about something or wanted to express a strong opinion.
Beyond that are the words that typically require heavy Shift-key usage, i.e.
!@#$%^&. I do _not_ use these words in public forums, and I must say that I
tend to think less of those who do.

As for cultural vulgarity, I'd have to allow it, to a point. Maybe something
should be put into a listserv FAQ that gives examples of words that mean
very little in one country but are extremely rude in another. I'm sure some
people simply don't realize how some of their words are being taken. Heck,
if I was using some other country's rendition of F@#$ and S#!^, I'd want to
know.

On the whole, you're right that we should be expected to be mature enough to
find a way to say what we want to say without using course language. I don't
like hearing senseless profanity in movies, and I don't particularly like
reading it here. In both cases, it has the same effect of detracting from
the message being communicated.

So, I guess unless someone else points out a good reason otherwise, I think
I'm okay with the vulgarity policy as it stands. Well done, all 'round.

Derek "Blankety-blank-blank" D. Bass

>>On that note - I've been thinking about asking folks whether the current
policy toward vulgarity is acceptable?

>>The policy is that vulgarity is not welcome, but only repeated and/or
abusive usage will get you knocked off of the list.

>>The point is that we are all (ideally) mature enough to handle it, and it
smacks of censorship.

>>The counter-point is that we are all (ideally) intellegent enough to get
our point across without the use of vulgarity, and certain usage is frankly
offensive while serving no useful purpose except for shock value.

>>Allan 'Deputy' Seyberth
moderator@darious.com

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com
Sign up at http://www.mail.com?sr=mc.mk.mcm.tag001