[DL] Re: Call for discussion re: Vulgarity

In a message dated 3/6/00 11:53:43 PM Eastern Standard Time,
deadlands-owner@gamerz.net writes:

> The policy is that vulgarity is not welcome, but only repeated and/or
>  abusive usage will get you knocked off of the list.
>
>  The point is that we are all (ideally) mature enough to handle it, and it
>  smacks of censorship.
>
>  The counter-point is that we are all (ideally) intellegent enough to get
>  our point across without the use of vulgarity, and certain usage is frankly
>  offensive while serving no useful purpose except for shock value.

The problem here is that if you loosen the guidelines someone will take the
new liberty too far.  Take the OT list as a case in point.  Although it has
settled down slightly now, when it was first opened there was a flood of pent
up obscenity and vulgarity.

I think this list strikes a good balance between the two extremes of
censorship and liberty.  If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Jeff