Re: [DL] Re: Cardstock Cowboys

> > The best thing to store them in, which I bought yesterday ...

My apologies.  I guess I should have said "In my opinion, the best thing to
store them in..."  I shouldn't have assumed that everyone would think my way
was the best way.

> So it begins.  Be warned, all, that counter storage is a RELIGION.  There
are
> no "best ways", there is only "the way [your name here] does it."  People
> will be influenced by coolness, expense, accessibility, and what their
> friends tell them.  But the bottom line is, once you store them it's
REALLY
> HARD to convince yourself that there's a better way to store them
somewhere
> else.

Maybe so.  A friend of mine actually started storing his Steve Jackson
cardboard fantasy figures in one of these storage cases with drawers nearly
ten years ago and it has worked well.  This is why I decided to go the same
route in regards to mine.

> I've suffered through years of debate on how best to store the thousands
of
> counters that come with ASL.  There's some great solutions out there, but
> don't know many people that will admit they are wrong, scrap their current
> system, and adopt a new one.

And as I said, I didn't mean to sound as if everyone should throw their
ideas out the window and adopt my figure storage ideas.  Sorry if that is
what it seemed as if I was doing.  I was simply responding to the initial
question of how to store the figures, which several other people also
replied to as well with their own methods.  I guess the difference is that I
said my way was the best way, although I didn't intend to come off that way.

> Words of advice, Jim -- imagine what would happen to your plastic drawers
if
> they got knocked over.  Gamers are often a ham-fisted lot, and I've seen
> worse.  Also imagine what will happen when CC#87 comes out, and we'll have
> multiple categories of figures (player characters, monsters, six
railroads,
> Grimme's boys, the Mexican Army, Injuns, all the Gomorra factions, a giant
> Steam Tarantula, and so on).

Well, since my friend has had his stuff stored this way for nearly ten
years, no one has ever knocked it over.  Plus the drawers don't just come
flying out and if it did get knocked over, the case itself is made of sturdy
material and the chances of all the figures spilling out is small.

As for future sets, I agree.  The case I bought will hold the two that are
out now, plus maybe one other set.  After that, I will be forced to buy
another case.  Fortunately they are fairly modular.  But they do cost $15.00
to $20.00 dollars each so I understand that this isn't the cheapest method
of storage.  But I like it because one case holds nearly 300 different sized
figures, I can sort them into different drawers, label the drawers and have
very easy access to them at the gaming table without having to shuffle
through a shoebox or ziploc bags, etc.

Jim