Re: [DL] Ghost Rock Tipped Bullets

I think that just about everyone who has even an inkling of Mad Scientist in
them has created some sort of Ghost Rock enhanced ammunition. My own version
(which ends up resembling Allan Seyberth's version below, quite
coincidentally) used powdered Ghost Rock mixed in with the gunpowder. The
resulting bullet didn't penetrate as well (-1 pt per die, min 1 per die, due
to the reduced amount of gunpowder propelling it), but left a small trail of
flame behind it as it sped to its target, and did additional burning damage
(I'm at work and don't have the paper in front of me, but I think it did an
additional 1d4 fire damage for 4 rounds, and would set flammable items near
the 1 round flame trail on fire) upon impact.

Wangenstein's Hellfire Rounds cost about 10 times the usual cost for the
same type of ammo, and were not to be sold for cap and ball revolvers except
in pre-loaded cylinders. It also had a tendency to overheat the weapon it
was used in, so it wasn't recommended for gatling weapons. As an added
detail, certain metals could be added to the gunpowder/ghost rock mix to
change the color of the flames, as with fireworks, so that characters could
have personalized flame trails.

Sounds to me like something of a consensus is being built on the manufacture
of Ghost Rock ammunition. Cool...

Derek "Flamin' Justice" D. Bass

Etheric Musings -- The Science of the Sons of Ether
http://web.cari.net/~ddbass/Ether.htm

_______________________________
_______________________________

Well - as a start I could suggest a reduced ability to penetrate armor, and
a +1 point of damage from the burning of the rock.  As well as the smug
satisfaction that you are leaving traces of ghost rock in everyone you
shoot.

Of course, given the whole meta-theme of Mad Science, Ghost Rock bullets
should probably  do an additional +1d4 damage.  At a cost of about $8-$10 a
bullet.  (unless you have Trade: Gunsmith or somesuch skill).

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

FREE Personalized Email at Mail.com