[DL] hexes and backlash

It isn't really as clear as it could be but the situation has come up in my
group.  One of the Hucksters, (I have three two hexslingers and a regular
one, heaven help me) has taken some nasty and almost lethal backlash and has
bought himself a copy of the players guide.  Now the way I handle backlash
is if one of three things happens, either a joker pops up in the poker hand,
the huckster busts the hex roll, or fails to make the minimum hand.  Then
they get backlash.  Apparently the players guide only lists the joker as a
cause for backlash but I'm almost sure the text reads the way I've been
handleing it.  Because of the number of backlash results that end in the hex
succeeding anyway despite the backlash I figured it was a crap shoot from
the words "I'm gonna cast a spell."
    You roll the dice, deal the cards and take your chances.

If i'm wrong please tell me if not I'll go back to tormenting my hucksters
with lethal blasts of black lightning.

Ronald Conner
Marshal of the Kung Fu, spellslinging, card carrying, demon bashing,
gunbunny runners