Re: [DL] huckster problem

[SPOILERS]

> So, for non-evil actions, you would consider them 'evil'?  What
> is evil about them learning more about their art of Hexslinging?
> Sure, they deal with Manitous, but you are the one that let
> them learn so quickly.

On a religious (christian, and perhaps also judaic) point of view, it is evil.
You give them the tentation, and they abuse of it. You are the snake offering an
apple, and they take the apple tree. They lust for power, not you.

As characters in Deadlands, dealing with manitous is considered as making
tricking an evil demon. So, any huckster has a bit of evil inside him. [Same can
apply for Mad Scientist, but not as strongly]. Power does corrupts. When people
have some power and influence, they use it to get more.

<OT> Look at politicians involved in big, secret dealings... This may be only my
opinion... but they tend to get big, secret money in their pockets. Look at
Hittler. He had the power. He used it. </OT>

If the characters are learning spells to get more power, as I suspect, slowly
offer them more. Like, a "Mighty Lightning". One of them stumbles accross this
spell in an arcane text. He learns it (it is a black lightning). Whenever he
uses it, increases a level in it, he gains corruption (but he does not know). He
can teach this to his fellows huckster. The spell is easier, because without
knowing it, the huckster offers some of his soul to the manitou. Tell them it is
an advanced Hex, that is not in the standard H&H book if necessary.

Each corruption point makes it harder to act on for the "greater good". You do a
spirit roll for them when they face an ambiguous situation. (TN 3, +2 by
corruption point). If one fail, describe the situation inverting the roles. Make
them use the power, by facing powerful criters. Add some side effects, so that
people begin to fear them. And fear creates more abominations, don't forget.

For each 5 points miss, they get an additional corruption point. When they get
to their Spirit die type, they have completed the path to Evil. Take the
character sheets, and their next characters will have somehow to fight against
three fearsome black magician.

Vincent Vandemeulebrouck
The French tinhorn with a Great name
http://www.webb.net/sites/vvandeme/Deadlands/index.html

PS: No need to start an OT thread about this on the list.