[DL] "Killing in self-defense"

Not to bring back my earlier thread about sinnin', but....

What exactly qualifies as "self-defense" (in reference to Christian blessed
being able to kill in self-defense)? I basically took it to mean if they are
shooting at you or trying to stab you, etc. you cant get away will killing
them.
Perfect example is last session the original blessed in the group (there are
2 now), shot a cultist in the leg as he was trying to summon something awful.
The cultist went down with a serious leg wound. Unfortunately the cultist
succeeded. The resulting battle with said demon left all of the posse save
the newly recruited PC on the ground bleeding or winded. In all of the
confusion trying to stop the other cultists from escaping and binding
wounds,etc. The cultist he shot in the leg bled to death. I made him roll for
a mortal sin since he wasn't acting in self defense and he killed the guy,
albeit accidentally (hell he wanted to question him).

My question was, basically, was I too rough on him or is that about right for
a blessed? At the time he shot him the cultist was no immediate threat to him
and didn't take any overt action (well he summoned a demon, but the demon was
the threat not the cultist). I guess "self-defense" is a gray area that can
mean a lot of things to a lot of people, but Im just looking for its
definition in relation to sins.