RE: [DL] Need a mysterious past

<snip>
>   My problem is that the easiest route - that his
> training/blood/ability is flawed somehow and all of
> his hexslinging is penalized is just too harsh and
> I don't want to hammer down his primary ability - it's
> not like he took Veteran of the Weird West - this
> was a random draw.

I agree that a major shortcoming in his primary ability can be severe.
Unless the player is willing to have fun with it and role play it to the
hilt.

I'd suggest that you decree that God is actually watching over him and won't
allow him to consort with the Manitous with any degree of danger.  Thus his
hexes seem to always fail.  On the other hand, if the character seems to
turn away from the Evil, have him rewarded by the Almighty (perhaps in the
nature of miracles which are similar to the hexes he's trying to use).  Over
time he sort of morphs from being a huckster into being a blessed.

Jimbo