Re: [DL] All that Shimmers

david.tabb@msfc.nasa.gov wrote:

> I have spoilery questions about Dylan Craig's "All That Shimmers" adventure
> from the Pinnacle website.  If you've run it, I can use your help.  Please
> see below.
>

> La
>

> Space
>

> du
>

> Spoiler
>

> Okay.
> At the big finale at the end of the adventure, the heroes go down the ropes
> into the silver-lined chamber.  According to the map, the ropes dangle over
> an underground lake.  Near as I can tell, the posse's options are to attack
> while hanging from the ropes or to jump in the lake, swim to shore, and
> attack from there.  Is that how it's supposed to be?  Is it a deep lake or a
> huge wading pool?  Are there boats, or did the cultists swim?
>
> I'm curious to know how other people have run this part before my own group,
> currently headed toward Denver and Webb Mining, gets there.  Thanks.

David,

I used a relatively deep lake; one that required swimming.
Unfortunately, I had a posse member who was able to kill at will from
the rope above...but, I won't get into that.

I just assumed that the cultists swam across -- they had plenty of time
to do so.  I think the lake presents a difficulty for the posse to
attack by surprise or remain hidden, though smart posses will swim under
water to avoid attacks.

The full effect of the lake came into play when the posse had to escape
in a hurry.  I stuck by the esteemed Mr. Craig's original text for the
relative safety of the posse on the trip out, but certainly didn't let
them know it!

Having the molten silver & lava cause the water to seemingly boil made
Vigor checks interesting on the swim back to the rope.  A boiling
cauldron of lava and water, coupled with the requisite slips and near
falls along the trip up the rope, make for the setting of a most
excellent escape!  Especially if the group is toting enervated
colleagues, who create a further difficulty for rapid escape across the
lake.  Then there was the running escape through the underground tubes;
a cascade of sulfurous steam and and molten silver always within inches
of parboiling the last member of the posse in line.

I was pleased to find that elements of the harrowing escape still come
up now and then throughout our game to this day...

Just another suggestion: In an attempt to create a greater level of
buy-in, I used the Backlund Mining Corporation in lieu of Webb.  You'd
find Backlund in the dime novel "Perdition's Daughter."  The reason I
suggest this is that I tied these two scenarios with the "Ticks!"
adventure to create a trilogy of sorts.  That seemed to make moving
through the adventures more meaningful and interesting for the group.

Bona fortuna!

D.