[DL] Re: tempests vs. hucksters

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 13:21:14 EDT
> From: JSilver545@aol.com
> Subject: [DL] Re: deadlands-digest.20000416
>
> Howdy y'all. I'm back with yet another odd character 'conversion'
question.

>  Now, to begin with, I'm right in saying that the way Tempests work are
never
> really explained beyond their mechanics (ie where they get their power and
> how is never really adressed) right?

kind of...

semi-spoiler.. scram if'n ya don't wanna know about Tempests.

Well, in Hell On Earth, it's revealed that they're early versions of Sykers.
They just don't know it yet, and can't control what they're doing yet. And
won't for a long time to come.
All they say in the Weird West is that they don't deal with Manitous.

>  Well, I've got a player who wants play a character who starts as a
tempest
> and then eventually becomes a huxter. What say y'all? Impossible?
Possible?
> Would he keep the tempest ability? Anyone have any insights as to how they
> think the tempest power 'really' works? Any insight would be helpful.

Personally I wouldn't allow them to become a Huckster. Under "Tempest" on
page 17 of Hucksers and Hexes: "Here's a little something for those cowpokes
that aren't hucksters. In fact, a huckster can't even choose this Knack."

Granted, it doesn't say specifically that a Tempest can't become a huckster,
but it does say a huckster can't be a Tempest. If you allow her to become a
huckster I'd at least force the drop of the Tempest Knack. If you wanted to
be cruel, make her buy it off,  in addition to the Accedemia:Occult and
AB:Huckster she has to buy... hehe.

As to how the power really works, see above and Brainburners for Hell On
Earth. Basically they pull power directly from the Hunting Grounds.

sinisterdexter@mindspring.com