Re: [DL] Random questions

Well..........   Here's our lil' corner of the DL universe in regards to the
questions....
<<1) How far apart are your towns?  A few hours ride by
horse?  Half a days ride?  Longer?  I figure it would
depend on where you are.  Back east towns would be
closer together (but how close?) than out west.>>

As with most things in Deadlands (especially), or any other game I run...
things like travel time, distance, etc. kinda depend on what I need / want to
happen during that time.     I have a nasty habit (for good or bad) to run
games like movies or television shows.     I like the cinematic feel that
gives.    As to Back East towns being closer....I guess that reletivly that
would be true on a strictly population numbers basis, but they would, could,
did, and still are to SOME extent far enough apart to allow the same
thing...a'la the movie method as I call it.

<<2) How often does a town have a rail line going
through it?  Are lines out west mostly single lines,
or double?  How often do trains run?  If a train needs
to turn around, or two trains meet head to head, what
do they do?>>

How often?     See #1's answer!   heh heh heh     As for the last part of the
question, and please understand, I'm no expert on 19th century
railroads.....I think that the actual number (or lack thereof) of trains
running tended to preclude the meeting of two on the same track.     Of
course, in one of the western novel series I read and modify for DL
adventures, it DID happen and the one that was closer to either a switch
track or rail stop BACKED UP!!

<<3) How many towns have a telegraph station?  I assume
towns near a fort would have stations, and there would
be central lines heading out east, but just how far do
the lines run westward?  Is there one main trunk, or
is there a network established?  Just how do telegraph
lines work, must each station relay the information?
If there's a break in the line, how quickly is it
detected and someone sent out to repair it?>>

Historically?     Got me.     In my DL game...I tend to let the "singing
wire" basically be everywhere there are enough people.     By 'enough people'
I tend to mean the larger settlements or again anywhere I really need one.

<<4) How many Marshals actively include the civil war in
their adventures?  If one side rushed across the
boarder, how quickly would a defense be mobilized?
How would it be detected, and better yet, verified?
What's to stop one side from tricking a scout into
thinking a large force is moving into an area, only to
move troups to another area?  Do people play the
confederate as bad guys and the union as good guys, or
are the sides portayed more neutrally?>>

My setting is in COlorado....distuted land, and so I tend to avoid direct
Civil War occurances.     When necessary, excursions into the areas they
frequent, they tend to handle it depending on the situation.    They've had
good and bad dealings with both the Union and the Confederate forces.   As to
portraying the Confederates as "the Bad Guys"..... as a southerner (Georgia /
Tennessee border), that statement kind of makes me laugh.     I'll not get
into a political or historic debate on this list, but gimme a break.     BOTH
sides, to answer the question, are made up of human beings (for the MOST
part!!) and as such can be either 'good' , 'bad' , or 'neutral'.
'Yankee' bias aside! heh heh heh ;)

<<5) How often do the Agency or the Rangers investigate
a supernatural report? >>

Oh only ALL THE TIME!!!     heh heh heh         I even created myself a
character (for the rare times I actually get to play!!) that was an Agency
operative (bugged Goff for days about certain things.....thanks for the
use the Agency and the Rangers as either the cavalry, if needed or as (the
usual use) a big, blunt club ta beat them about the head and neck.

<<How often do you have players
investigate a boogie man who is really a snipe?  Or a
different boogieman than expected (ie, the vampire
attacks were really caused by Tick men)?>>

heh heh heh     Ok........ I tend to use Lady Cynthia Carstairs as the
"recuring villain" part...they blow her away, I have her come back "better,
stronger, faster" when I think they might be able to have SOME survival
chance.     Anyhoo..... they hear about this woman a few towns away that has
been doing some pretty amazing things.     Without asking, investigating,
anything they say to me...."Ahhh.   About time for the "Devil B!tch" (Their
name for her), rode to the town and promtly attacked the woman, who bore
something of a superficial resemblance to Lady Cindy.    Well... the 'poor
woman' ended up being Blessed and after trying to calm them down and failing,
she beat the crap out of them.     Never once did she do any real, permenant
damage, but at the end, they were on the ground moaning and she was weeping
and trying to help them.     Afterwards....I was accused of simply
"responding to what the players said".     I didn't...I simply knew how they
would react and was 'properly prepared'.    They investigate now!

Two Gun Mojo
SASS #30412
"I got my mojo workin'"