Re: [DL] Nameing Small towns

From: "Tabb, David" <david.tabb@msfc.nasa.gov>
To: "'deadlands@gamerz.net'" <deadlands@gamerz.net>
Subject: RE: [DL] Names
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 16:26:37 -0600
Sender: owner-deadlands@gamerz.net

> > As far as town names are concerned, I was workin' up a
> One-From-Column-A-
> > One-From-Column-B table at one point for when the posse wanders into a
> > random location I have to make up on the fly.
	<snip partial lists>
> > There's more, but I don't have my notes with me right now.  You get the
> > idea.  I'd be happy to post the expanded list as soon as I can get to
> the
> > notes if anyone's interested.
>
> Please do! It would be both useful and humorous!

All right, I will then.  Please note that these lists will make up generic
names, not particularly spooky or significant ones.  Also, a human (or a
Marshall, at least) has to apply some common sense to get a good-sounding
name out of the tables.  I don't consider these lists complete and would
greatly appreciate feedback and additions.  Especially for Column B.

I have no idea if the formatting will hold up to transmission.  My apologies
if it doesn't.  It should look right in Courier New.

I hope you like it.
David

Column A				Column B

<types of tree/plant>		Hollow
	Elm	   Larch		Junction
	Pine	   Cyprus		Valley
	Oak	   Kudzu		Springs
	Walnut   Rosewood		Hills
	Azalea   Holly		Rock
	Cactus   Tumbleweed	Falls
	Redwood  Moss		Field
	Pecan				Gulch
<states of the US or CS>	Flats
	Colorado			Creek
	Utah				Glen
	Georgia			Crossing
	Illinois			Pines
	you get the idea		Lake
<indian tribal names>		-burg
	Iriquois			-town
	Apache			-wood
	Cherokee			-ville
	Hopi
	Sioux
	Aztec
	Anasazi
	Cheyenne
<minerals>
	Gold
	Silver
	Copper
	Brass
	Anthracite (just kidding)
	Salt
	Ghost Rock
	Platinum
	Lead
	Tin
<colors>
	Black
	Brown
	White
	Green
	Yellow
	Blue
	Orange
	Red
	Indigo
	Violet
	Gray
	fancy versions
<Proper Names>
	Withers
	Hennessey
	too many to list
<animals>
	Squirrel
	Raccoon
	Moose
	Buffalo
	Jackalope
	Wendigo
	Rattlesnake
	Manitou
<emotional states>
	Happiness
	Depression
	Anger
	Sorrow
	Glee
	Contentment
	Grace
	Anxiety
<abstract concepts>
	Prosperity
	Generosity
	Progress
	Diligence
	Truth
	Humility
	Revenge
<afterlife locations>
	Perdition
	Paradise
	Hell
	Purgatory
	Limbo
	Nirvana
	Hades
	Damnation
	Salvation

Allan Seyberth
darious@darious.com
Deadlands fan site - www.darious.com/deadlands

Everybody dies.  Whether you die on your feet or on your knees, is entirely
up to you.

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Ben Bova:
To be reunited with beautiful grey-eyed Athena, the woman he has loved for
all of time