Re: [DL] A quick question

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:07:30 +1200
> From: gilkison@ihug.co.nz
> Subject: Re: [DL] A quick question

        <Snip>

> While I'm on the soap-box, I have another problem. I'm a long-time PC,
> first-time marshal, and in a couple of weeks I'm running my first
adventure
> for a first-time posse. Do you lot have any simple hints and tips? I'm
> considering doing one of the following:
> * An adventure based on the movie Seven, with heavy modification of
course.
> * An adventure based on the movie Deadman, with a little modification.
> * An adventure of my own devising where the players chase up various
> suspects in some horrific crimes, only to find each of the suspects is
> innocent of the murders in question, but each guilty of something else
> entirely. I like this idea, because I can start the players in a hack 'n'
> slash type thing with the first suspect, (they're long-time AD&D hack 'n'
> slashers, *shudder*, so I've got to ease them away from that), and
gradually
> show teach them that they're going to have to use more than just their
guns.

I have a friend who ran Deadlands for a group of D&D Hack 'n Slashers. Tore
'em up in just under 4 hours. Killed the posse. Broke 'em of that attitude
_REAL_ quick. Living Fossils are tough... ;-)

As far as simple hints and tips... hrm..
1 - More than 2-3 pages of notes is too much. The posse will not do what
they are             supposed to do. Ever. Be prepared to think on your
feet. (don't overplan)
2 - Don't forget to reward them with chips for roleplaying! (keep a list of
their                     Hindrances handy. A Marshal's Log or notebook is
important)
3 - Stay out of Lost Angles until you're ready to kill one of them off...
;-)
4 - Don't forget the Weird West's humor. Not everything is gloom and doom.
    (Watch Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness before running. And make your
posse do so as well. Seriously.)
5 - Make sure your extras have unique personalities that remain consistent
within the         game.
6 - Don't flaunt your omnipotence as Marshal.

Those are the very basics as far as I'm concerned. A unifying adventure will
help bring a posse together as well. Don't be afraid to spend a session
letting them get to know each other, either.

BTW - The idea about having people innocent of the suspected crime but
guilty of another sounds very interesting. Hope all goes well with it.

sinisterdexter@mindspring.com