SV: [DL] Mysterious part: What do you think?

> You might want to add a way to reduce the number of "levels" to the power --
> cashing in twice the level in fate chips, for example -- to make it feel
> less like you are setting up a limit on how long your player can have the
> character.  (This assumes the player doesn't know about the bad side to the
> ability).  Alternately, you could make it that there is a chance every time
> the draw takes place that the Manitou comes for the player.  Here's a
> possible mechanic:
>
> Both sides get a poker hand.  The winner gets the soul of the player.  At
> each level, the number of cards varies:
>
> Level   Player   Manitou  Jokers
> 1        7        1   All Jokers Wild for player (including those held by
> opponent)
> 2        6        2       All Jokers wild for player
> 3        5        3       Jokers used normally (Red=good for player,
> black=bad for player)
> 4        4        4       Jokers used normally (Black=good for Manitou,
> Red=Bad for Manitou)
> 5        3        5       All jokers wild for Manitou
> 5+x      2        5+x     All Jokers wild for Manitou (including those held
> by opponent)
>
> Chips:  White = Discard one card and draw.
>         Red = Draw an extra card (Marshal draws a chip from the fate pot)
>         Blue = Draw an extra card
>         Legend = Draw five cards and choose two
>         Black (Marshal only) = Draw three cards (Only if the player has
> caused the Black chip to be added to the pot).
>
> While the player can use the power at level 5 theoretically indefinitely,
> the Manitou gets to draw more and more cards.  Joker descriptions at levels
> 3 and 4 both operate at levels 3 and 4.
>
> This mechanic should allow the player to figure out what's going on and
> still win the first two hands.  Why would the Manitou go in for such a deal?
> How scared would you start to be at level 4, when the odds are suddenly
> even?  How frightening is it to know you have the power to get out of a
> sticky mess but the solution might be worse?  Now imagine the terror of
> seeing the Manitou get dealt 7 cards to your 2.
>
> All that fear goes to its bosses and it never has to leave the safety of the
> Hunting Grounds.
>
> Hope this helps.

Hm, that would make a rather good system, except for a few things: The player will know that he has a power, that he must use one action to activate it and that he then will have additional cards. I will not tell how many cards he is going to get untill he actually uses the power. He will get a few hints about the danger of the power, and the player isn't THAT stupid.

He knows that I seldom give him any breaks and use every possible opportunity to hose the players over - at card three or so he is going to understand that using this power is not good. At least it is going to show on the grin on my face.

I am not giving the player a cool power here, in that case he would have gotten Luck o' the Draw at level 1 only, with no improvement possible (unless he came back harrowed, of course). But, you are right. The player might not get the point untill the fourth or fifth time he uses the power, and that is a bit late. Still, I want him to worry.... what about the power going up every other time? That would make a much easier system (playing cards is cool, but the player will understand that something is wrong right away), but is still possible for the player to use the power several times.

Even better, I tell the player that he has used it two times already (the power needs time to grow) and it gave him one card - that way, the BAD THING(tm) happens on the 13th time the power is used. To balance things, he must draw all his extra cards BEFORE he can use Old Hand.

I'll stop rambling now. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Marshal Ole I. Stene