[DL] Help with a new hex

----- Original Message ----- >
> Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 16:02:04 EDT
> From: JSilver545@aol.com
> Subject: [DL] Help with a new hex
>
> Okay, I've got a player who wants to play a huckster that deals
specifically
> mental powers. We've already decided on some hexes including phantom
fingers
> for TK, and some of the sensory ones. I'm having trouble with two...
>
> 2) He wants to have a hex that allows him mental domination, sort-of the
jedi
> mind trick... I haven't run across any rules for anything like that. Any
help
> anyone could give me on how to either find this power or make a hex that
does
> it while remaining balanced would be greatly appreciated!

I'm leaving the first question alone, because I don't want to think too much
right now. For this one, I'd check out the Brainburners book for Hell On
Earth. Take the Meat Puppet syker skill and de-strain the system. Keep in
mind that sykers are terribly unbalanced, IMO, so be careful! Meat Puppet
allows a syker to completely control someone's actions including activating
powers (if she's aware of them), committing murder or even suicide. Tone
this down a bit to better fit Deadlands.
Something along the lines of:

Trait: Spirit
Hand: 2 Pair
Speed: 3
Duration: concentration or 1/round
Range: Touch/Special

If successfully cast, the huckster makes an opposed Spirit Roll against the
target, only use the huckster's Hexslingin' rather than his coordination. If
no one gets a raise, they roll again on the huckster's next action. If the
target gets a raise, the huckster takes 2d6 wind and must attempt to recast
the Hex. If the huckster gets a raise, he has taken control of the target's
mind. He can force the target to do anything he wishes, but the huckster
must be able to communicate with the target (thus the limited range). The
huckster only controls the target's actions, not his thoughts. This puts a
lot of strain on the huckster and the target and both develop rather
unique-looking bloodshot eyes. Someone familiar with this power should
notice this rather easily - a Fair (5) Scrutinize roll is sufficient. A
huckster who uses this too often should find herself face to face with a
Texas Ranger or Agency operative *real* fast. She's got some explaining to
do.

Parts of this were pretty much ripped verbatim from the Brainburner book, as
I remember it. Please don't sue me. ;-)       And keep in mind that like I
said, sykers are rather powerful, so this may not work for your game.

Or modify the existing Hex Forget to allow for some limited mind control, if
that's more in flavor for your game.

sinisterdexter@mindspring.com