[DL] American English and language flaws (was Lost Colony come out?)

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Kirk Monsen wrote:

> --- Nick Zachariasen <zacharin@pluto.dsu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Nick "has an edge over Brian because he speaks
> > *American* English" Zachariasen
>
>    ^^^^^^^^ and that's an edge?  Sounds more like a
> 2pt hindrance ...
>
> -Munch "Dang, teetering on OT" Wolf

	1pt. flaw- Speak with funny accent. But it has to be extreme, like
'mock Bosch' e.g. "Ah, ha so ve meet egain Herr Stone. Zis time I vill
teach you zat ze German sense of humour iz not be be laughed at........!"

or "Ve haf vays of making you talk Englischer svinehund!"

	2pt flaw- Broken English. The character is required to use only a
few common phrases, with poor grammer and no detailed explanations, unless
accompanied by vigourous hand movements and mimicking.

	e.g. the injun with "Um... we be going now.... Big thing be
coming.  "mimes big horns on forehead", yes, big 'MOO, Moo' coming.
Running now..... Aargh...(crunch... thump, splatter.)"

	3pt flaw- Speak like Jar Jar Binks. (not just unintelligeble, but
downright annoying too!)

	Steve.